Saturday, November 12, 2011

Can I please get some advice on conflict resolution on this problem that I have?

When I went back to school this January, I had to find a place in the town where I'm attending school. I found a potential basement suite really close to the school and when talking to the landlord when deciding if I was going to get it or not, the landlord said that the only thing is that they had kids so I would hear them at times. I considered this and said I would think about it. Later on I decided not to take the place because I needed a place where I would be able to live peacefully and study and even though I can stand some background noise, I wasn't sure how loud it was going to be. When the landlord called me to see if I was still going to take the place, I told her I had decided not to because I was concerned about the noise. She right away said "well it isn't THAT bad" and then I told her "well I need to be able to sleep and study and I don't know if the noise is going to allow that" and then she said "oh yeah-you WILL be able to sleep. It isn't that loud" and she went on to tell me how the bedroom was completely insulated. So I told her I would take it then because it was so conveniently located next to the school. I have only lived here for about 2 months and there have been so many issues like the kitchen tap spouting out water, the pipes under the kitchen sink flooding the floor, the heaters not working when I moved in (and instead of getting the actual heaters fixed, they just gave me a couple of those portable ones) and something big spilled upstairs and it leaked right into my suite through the floor. The biggest problem is the noise is MUCH worse then I thought and the bedroom has no insulation whatsoever and I have to listen to loud t on the floor and temper tantrums ALL DAY LONG with the parents yelling, swearing and screaming. It's gotten to the point where I can't even hear the person I'm on the phone with and my sleep has really been affected. I can't nap at all and I'm most of the time up till 3 in the morning doing homework because that's the only time it's a little quiet. I can never sleep in on the weekends because I get woken up, I can't do homework in peace and I can't ever nap. I have given several warnings about the noise and the only thing is that they have said I can move out and they won't make me give notice. The problem is moving is expensive because I don't have a truck and I'm in a demanding nursing program and don't have time for this at this busy time of the semester. What can I do? Would I have a right to ask for money back on my rents or take this to arbitration for damages? I'm really mad about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment